Easy (and Delicious!) Recipe for Vegan Eggplant Tacos
Posted by Dorry Tolson on February 17, 2013
We all look for inspiration from time-to-time to mix up our regular meals and try something new. Nicole Smith, a recent Integrative Nutrition graduate from More Beets Please, shares a unique recipe for eggplant tacos. The quinoa offers a nutritious source of vegetarian protein, and the spices add a delicious kick of flavor. Not a fan of eggplant? Try mushrooms, lentils, or tofu instead.
These tacos are not only customizable; you can easily make the quinoa and vegetables ahead of time. Reheat the ingredients for a quick and nourishing dinner, or turn the leftovers into a taco salad for lunch the following day!
Eggplant Tacos with Quinoa
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- Corn tortillas
- Add 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups of vegetable broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Let simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Saute eggplant, shallot, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender (5-7 minutes.)
- While that is cooking, mix spices together to create your own taco seasoning.
- Add to the eggplant and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the halved cherry tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro.
- When the eggplant is finished, begin to assemble your tacos. In each shell, add quinoa, eggplant, tomato salsa, and top with avocado.
Connect with Nicole:
On her website