Recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Posted by Dorry Tolson on October 1, 2012
One of the easiest ways to become a sustainable cook is not to waste the lesser-used elements of seasonal produce. Fall means pumpkin season, so whether you are carving pumpkins with friends or making homemade filling for a pumpkin pie, don’t forget to hang on to the seeds. Not only are they a satisfying, crunchy treat, but pumpkin seeds are also a good source of protein, magnesium, zinc, and omega-3s.
Integrative Nutrition student Andrea Biethman shares her favorite spice blend for roasting pumpkin seeds, a healthy snack the whole family will enjoy!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of cinnamon
- Clean out your pumpkin.
- Wash the pulp from the seeds (soaking the seeds in warm water for an hour will help this process).
- Allow the seeds to dry for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Combine all ingredients and place in 8×8 pan, coating the seeds with the seasoning mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
Connect with Andrea: