Healthy Recipe for Vegetable Lasagna
Posted by Dorry Tolson on September 17, 2012
During the transition from summer to fall, we love to couple fresh seasonal produce with hearty, nourishing flavors. In this simple vegetarian recipe, Integrative Nutrition student Alissa Novotny puts a healthy spin on a comforting family favorite: lasagna!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- ½ eggplant, diced
- 1 cup organic ricotta cheese*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the diced onion, bell pepper, and eggplant.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft and the eggplant begins to fall apart.
- Remove from heat and mix with ricotta in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a 9x9” baking dish, spread 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Create an even layer of zucchini slides on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Scoop and spread 1/3 of the ricotta/vegetable filling over the zucchini
- Spread ¼ cup of tomato sauce evenly over the ricotta layer.
- Repeat twice with zucchini, filling, and sauce, then finish with a layer of zucchini on top.
- Brush the final zucchini layer with a teaspoon of oil.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Broil for 5 minutes, allow to cool, and serve!
*For vegans, use non-dairy cheese or tofu.
Connect with Alissa: