Easy Recipe for Pickling Cucumbers
Posted by Dorry Tolson on August 20, 2012
Cucumbers are the ideal summer fruit. Refreshing, cooling, and hydrating, they are also high in antioxidants and a worthwhile addition to an anti-inflammatory diet. Better yet, their diversity makes them a key ingredient in many nutritious recipes, even one for a facial mask!
This recipe, by Health Coach Mira Dessy, is the perfect opportunity to use up the remaining cucumbers from your end-of-summer harvest.
Refrigerator Cucumber Pickles
- ½ gallon jar, sterilized
- 2 cups raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup pickling salt (iodine free salt)
- 6-10* cucumbers
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 3-4 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 small Vidalia onion, peeled and sliced (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, water and salt.
- Bring to a slow boil, stirring until salt is completely dissolved.
- Remove mixture from heat and let cool completely.
- Place dill, garlic, and onion in the bottom of the sterilized jar.
- Wash cucumbers and cut into slices or spears, then add to the jar.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the cucumbers. Make sure they are all completely submerged.
- For best results, store in refrigerator for 2-3 days before eating
*The number of cucumbers used will depend on the size that you cut your spears or slices.
Connect with Mira:
What's your favorite recipe using cucumbers?