A Healthy Shrimp Recipe to Start the Summer
Posted by Dorry Tolson on June 5, 2012
The official start to summer will be here before we know it, and when things heat up, we like to keep it simple, since we’d rather be out enjoying the sunshine!
This recipe, by IIN graduate Clare Brady, will keep you satiated without weighing you down. Combining a seasonal vegetable, a light, lean protein, and a legume for added dietary fiber – it’s an excellent choice for an active summer schedule.
Lemon Honey Shrimp with Asparagus and Chickpeas
Serves 2. Cook time 15 min.
- 20 shrimp, peeled
- 1 1/4 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 1/2 T honey
- 1/2 T brown mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 T olive oil
- Cut the ends of the asparagus. Clare’s Tip: bend one stalk in half until it snaps. That’s the spot where they should all be cut!
- Place the asparagus on a cooking sheet.
- Coat asparagus with non-stick spray or olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until desired level of tenderness.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, add shrimp and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until pink.
- Remove shrimp from pan and chop into small pieces.
- Prepare lemon honey dressing by mixing honey, brown mustard, lemon juice, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- When the asparagus is finished baking, chop into small pieces, and start layering your bowl with chickpeas, shrimp, and asparagus.
- Drizzle on the dressing, mix it in, and serve over mixed greens.
For more recipes from Clare, check out her website or connect on Twitter!